Monday, November 26, 2012

Why I love Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays.


Just because we are in Hungary doesn't mean we couldn't celebrate an American custom so we had our English Class come and share our Thanksgiving Dinner.


We couldn't find a turkey so we bought three turkey breasts and a package of dark meat. I am not sure what part of the turkey they were but buying the turkey in parts eliminated a lot of carving. The down side as that we didn't have a wish bone!


We were able to find yams but no marshmallows so we did garlic yams, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, corn, rolls, cheese filled celery. We were able to find real celery. They use the root of the celery in Hungry to flavor there soup. It is very flavorful. We had real jello thanks to my sisters sending a Thanksgiving package. I can't wait to get their Christmas package.


We had pumpkin, lemon meringue and banana cream pies. It was fun to make pies again even though we couldn't find a pie plate like home, but we were able to come close.


Bence lifts weights and doesn't ever eat sweets but he tried a piece of lemon pie and declared it way too sweet for his liking!


Tibor tried all three and we think he got full. What a sport!


The elders were a little late because they also teach English Classes on Thursday night.  We had them sing for there supper. They really sound good singing together. 


After, Steve told the group that it is our tradition to tell what we are thankful for. It was great to hear what everyone said. I am thankful that I got to fix Thanksgiving dinner for friends. I am thankful to be lucky enough to serve a mission in Hungary. I am thankful for our family and that they have so much to be thankful for.


I am very thankful that Eva and Ande did the dishes!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post and we will try and get to work on the Christmas. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun dinner it sounds better then the one I made! I am glad you had fun with friends. I am sure grateful for both of you! love you

    ReplyDelete