Monday, February 27, 2012

Amazing Experience

We had an experience that moved me deeply today.  I have, over the years, read a lot about the "iron curtain" and the effects it had on people on both sides.  Today Shauna, Elder Olsen, Elder Bullock and I drove ten minutes from our apartment to the Austrian Border, where the first breach took place in allowing people to move from Hungary to Austria.  We took so pictures we will share with you.


This is just on the Austrian side of the boarder and recounts day, the 19th of August, 1989 when the first people moved over the boarder, right by where we stood.


This is the border, looking back into Hungary.  There is a park created here, but apparently when this the gate opened, thousands flocked across the boarder, tasting freedom for the first time in many years.


This statue sits in the middle of the park.  It graphically illustrates the "coming down of the wall", and the power that created it.


Notice the dividing of the building and in the middle you see a rock.  They said that rock came from the Berlin Wall, that went down shortly later.  I guess it was a symbol of the complete removal of that barrier that stood for so many years.  


There sits a former guard tower, where soldiers watched to prevent people from crossing into freedom.  


 This what the part looked like after everyone had left.  People left the cars and everything else just to get to freedom.  Notice all the abandened cars there.  I will attach a few other random photos from the park there.



Perhaps it was just me, but I felt a strong sense of appreciation for what we have always enjoyed.  What we saw here is the place where so many people got to taste freedom.  What went through my mind was all those people who so desperately wanted freedom that attempted to cross the boarder that stretched from Northern Germany to Southern Europe, and lost their lives in the process.  Freedom is fragile and so easily lost, and too often we treat it too lightly.  Anyway, it was an amazing experience for us.  I love the USA.  But I love being here so much also.

3 comments:

  1. I got goosebumps reading about this. I am pretty sure I would have shed a few tears looking at this. We are sure a blessed people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what an amazing experience. Thanks for sharing, it is probably as close as I will ever come to seeing it and now I have a greater appreciation as well. I remember that day also, and it is amazing to think about the freedom we so take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing you Elder and Sister Coverall Services/Flammer in action over there! It is so much fun and touching! It is amazing to see historic sites one has only read about in book and papers. I remember watching and reading about many attempts about people fleeing from their homelands to seek their loved ones in the free world. You met Janos. He is one of the many!
    We love and miss you both so much, but feel closer to you following you in this great blog! I love all your comments! They are so fun and informative! To inform you, the duplex building in your backyard is in a stand still due to inclement weather! We will contact you further when it gets going to pick the exterior colors. Met with Jeff today again. We have lots of stuff going! I hope it will take off! Love you both Sister and Elder Flammer you are simply the best! Russ and Christina

    ReplyDelete