Sunday, February 19, 2012

1st Speaking Assignment in Papa

We left for Papa (not your Mama) at 7:00 this morning. Lucky for us we only had to stop for one train on our way to the main drag of Sopron. We will blog about that another day. This is the outside of the church which we never would have found without Bess. Bess is the name of our GPS and her favorite phrase so far is "you are going over the speed limit". I think Steve has tuned her out.

We have speaking assignments every other month and have three places we need to speak at, Sopron,
Papa and Szombathely. The translator today was a counselor in the branch who had served his mission in Boise, Idaho. He spoke very good English. Steve bore his testimony at the end in Hungarian and I just stuck with English. We both tried to use a little humor but that did not go well at all. Steve told them that it would be easier for him if they all learned English. 

They have a two hour block and most of the time it is Sacrament Meeting and RS/Priesthood but sometimes they have Sunday School. I played the piano for RS. Elder Johnson from San Antonio played the piano for Sacrament Meeting and no one led the music. The people really sing out in our meetings.

This is the road that the church was on, like I said we never would have found it by ourselves.
On the way out of Papa we stopped at an old church and took a few pictures.

We love the statues on everything'

All the cemeteries (2) are by a church. They are really crowded. We hear people of dying to get in!
Sorry, I just had to throw that in.

This well was just inside the gate of cemetery. We weren't thirsty so we didn't try it.

There is a church in every town but not many of them look like they are being used.

We saw this one which actually had cars in front of it. Not very many people have cars but the ones that do seem to have newer ones.

Don't they look like merry fellows?

We saw lots of farmland today and even saw a rabbit hopping through a plowed field.
It was 90 kilometers from Sopron to Papa and took an hour and a half to get there. We sure enjoyed the ride. The weather is warmer now.I don't even zip my coat up most days.

We wanted to share with you how we know what town we are in. This is Csorna pronounced Chorna. Do you wonder how we know what town we are leaving?
We love it!

 Every single town has these signs so now not only do we  know where we are going but where we have been.






5 comments:

  1. Thanks again for the pictures - I love them - I get to see the places you have been and not even leave home. Happy Presidents Day to you - I also love all the statues everywhere. Do you have any on you home? Take care. Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to find where you were going good job Bess! I loved the pictures of the old churches. I agree with the above comment we can be there without leaving. I had to speak today too I hope it went well for you. take care and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. You make me laugh...love the pics. Enjoy every minute of the mission.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rough crowd, eh? I'm sure you were both extremely funny, none-the-less!

    Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually we did try some humor, but the Hungarians aren't into that. IT was a wonderful branch, so reverent. I was really impressed, just as I'm impressed with all the beautiful, old things there are to see here. What a great experience.

      Delete