Friday, January 27, 2012

We made it to Budapest!

I wanted to blog a little about our nine hour stay in Amsterdam, who would have thought we could entertain ourselves in such a place. It was a cute airport and we definitely knew we were in Holland without leaving the airport.
One of the tender mercies of the trip was that we needed to know if the mission office knew that we were coming eight hours later than the original flight plan so we needed to get on email to get their #. Since we were unable to bring any of children with us we were a little (ok a lot) concerned of how to do this. We found a place in the airport where there were some people using airport computers and their own. I must have had my normal "what do I do now" look when a guy looked up and said " Elder, where are you going"? It was Brother Nebeker, we forgot his 1st name but if he reads this he can post a comment. He was from American Fork and helped us get free internet for an 1/2 hour. Here is a picture of this very nice church member.

A little while later we were sprawled out on some reclining chairs when another guy came over and asked where we were going. It seems as if a missionary badge is a beacon and we will take that. His name was Brother Young and he is a brother to Dr. Young the dermatologist in Logan. He had lived with his brother while attending USU and had gone home to Portland for his dad's funeral. He was headed back to some country in the middle east to join his wife and two children and teach school.

We wandered around the airport and found a very European sandwich shop and had a sandwich and Fanta pop. I can't believe how bad I look in this picture but this was now 24 hours without sleep. It gets worse!




We fought over the camera to see who was going to sit in the teapot, just so you know I lost!

Hum, what else to do only two hours until boarding, how about some shopping?
yes, some wooden shoes will do, wait they are ceramic, oh well, who wants to wear them anyway?

slippers anyone?

Is there life after Amsterdam Airport? Yes, but not very much. Tune in for the next few days of journey to the mission.

5 comments:

  1. Great picturs - I think you look pretty good for not having had any sleep. Things are going good here. Has been really warm and rain. We had some flooding to the south of us last week. The new housing addition to the south got water in their basements. We are fine here - Mike is at the temple and I am house cleaning my kitchen. Take care- love Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! We love the pictures! We can't wait to see more updates. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you shouldn't reply as you make us too homesick.... just kidding. We are definite in a foreign land. We understand nothing, or at least right next to it. We went to a branch party last night a had a lot of fun. We are really excited. I sure love you and give Emily a big hug for me.
      dad

      Delete
  3. This is a wonderful blog and I will be following it faithfully. I miss you guys. I can imagine how Rhonda and Cathryn feel. I won't even mention the kids and grand kids. God's speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you have a blog! I love all that you have wrote so far. What a fun airport to look around. Good luck with everything can't wait to read more:)
      Angie Nelson

      Delete